Lost antique furniture and a set of drawers is a good way to recycle old furniture and put them back to good use. Usually, it is profitable and you can easily make furniture to suit your tastes. Often, all you need for a comfortable old back to life is a new coat of paint. You can quickly paint the old drawers with semi-gloss latex paint to give your drawers a painted surface long lasting. The same process also works for unpainted wooden surfaces and new drawers, drawers veneered panels and even colors.
- Empty the drawers of any content and place them on a tarp to prevent paint fall on your carpet. Place the cabinet on the canvas as well unless you’re not comfortable painting to match the drawers.
- Remove the handles of the drawers with a screwdriver and set them aside.
- Put masking tape behind drawer faces and around the portion of the drawer box to prevent paint get reach wood surfaces not receiving paint.
- Sanding wood surfaces with dry sandpaper 600 grit to give the area better primer adhesion. Clean the drawers and cabinet with a tack cloth to remove any dust. If the drawers were previously painted or stained, you do not have to bare wood sanding. Also, if the wood is unpainted or veneered, you should go ahead and complete the stage sanding. This will smooth the wood fibers exposed and scrape the surface of metal to give the primer something to adhere.
- Apply a latex primer paint roller and paint roller wheel through the prepared surfaces in the drawers and dresser. A paint roller apply an even layer and avoid brush marks. It allows enough time for the primer to dry weather. Follow the instructions on the can for drying times so you can take into account the moisture in the paint area. If the drawers do not have paint on them, a second layer may be necessary. On the drawers painted sheet should require only one layer.
- Apply a latex semi-gloss paint to a paint roller and paint roller wheel through the prepared surfaces in the drawers and dresser. Again, it allows enough time for the paint to dry time.
- Inspects completed for any point where you can view the sample surface primer. If you find any, adds a second layer of semi-gloss paint for drawers.
- Leave 24 hours for drying, remove the painter’s tape drawer and reconnects accessories.
Tips & Warnings
- If your drawers cracks not removed by sanding, you can use wood putty to fill imperfections after completing the sanding process. Add the filling, wait for it to dry and then complete one second sanding to level the filling with the surface of the wood. This will hide any imperfections.
- You can replace a paint roller with a paint gun without air, which generate a finer and smoother surface. You can use a brush if you want textured paint. Use a roller to the primer and the first layer of latex, then apply a second coat with a brush.